Skip to main content

My Hair Inspiration

One of the worst things about being a military spouse is having to find a new hairdresser every couple of years. Once you finally find that one hairdresser who you love, you move or the hairdresser moves. It never fails. And then you have to start from square one with searching for that perfect hairdresser.

Well, we recently moved, and so I've been avoiding getting a haircut. It typically takes at least 3 times to find the hairdresser I will keep. From there, it takes a couple more times as we adjust to one another until I finally come home from the salon a happy camper. I'm not super picky about my hair, but I don't put any product in it, which for some reason, hairdressers love to do.

Cue my hair inspiration. My niece, Ashley, is my current inspiration. She is donating her hair to Locks of Love and so has been growing her hair out and only getting it trimmed. Well, I decided to follow in her footsteps and donate my hair as well. This gives me a little more time to find a new hairdresser since all I'm getting are trims and it's pretty hard to mess it up. (Hard, but not impossible!) Now Ashley has a ton of hair so her donation will probably yield wigs for about 15 kids. I am not so blessed in the hair department with my thin hair, and will maybe be able to donate enough hair to supply highlights!

I have had a lot of different hairstyles over the years, but this is the first time that I am growing my hair out long to then cut it really short. Just to give you a sampling, I've collected some old snapshots. And yes, I have some awesome outfits over the years.

Just Above the Shoulders with Bangs


No Bangs and Hair Above the shoulder


Longest Yet, Below the Shoulders
The "Amanda Borden" - My Parents' Favorite































Locks of Love is a great organization. "Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis." People can donate hair, or they can make a financial contribution. For the donation to be used, hair must be 10 inches in length. Shorter hair is sold to help offset the costs.

Pantene Beautiful Lengths "helps women grow long, strong,* beautiful hair and provides the funds to turn this hair into free, real-hair wigs for women with cancer." They partner with the American Cancer Society to provide wigs to women with cancer. Hair only needs to be 8 inches to be donated.

I am currently at 7 inches, so the question is whether I will be donating to Pantene Beautiful Lengths after 1 more inch or Locks of Love and needing to grow my hair out another 3 inches. To some, this may not seem like a lot, but I have never had that long of hair. Hopefully by the time I get around to donating, I will have found my perfect hairdresser because I'm gonna need some help making sure that my new, short hairstyle looks good.

Whichever organization I end up donating my hair to, one thing is certain, I am so proud of my 7-year-old niece Ashley. To have decided to make this donation at such a young age just shows her generous spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Run for Dad!

Well, we are at it again! Two years ago, dad had Gretchen and me sign up for the Across the Bay 10K with him. Last year, together with family and friends, I ran the 10K one month out from the day of my dad's passing. This year, I am proud to say that mom, Payton, Gretchen, Ben, Josh, Ashley, and I (with Austin on my back) are running it. The race is November 8, so we have plenty of time to train and raise funds. Last year I worked to raise funds for the American Cancer Society (a great organization to donate to). This year, I am working to raise funds for the scholarship fund we started in my dad's memory. The goal is to get the scholarship fund up to $50,000 (the endowment level) so that we can begin awarding scholarships. The race has changed the way that they are doing their fundraising (you can only raise funds for 3 organizations) so I decided to do a personal donation page through my blog.  I don't run because I particularly like running; I run because of my da...

Family

It has been so long since I've written anything, but something inspired me to write tonight. I was in my bed, about to go to sleep and I felt compelled to just write. We sometimes wonder why God puts the people in our lives that he does. But, I have realized that those people really are here for a real purpose. This past week has not been the easiest, to say the least, but God has put certain people in my life for a specific reason. My mom is there to unconditionally take my side and say she's going to kick the butt of anyone who does me wrong, my friends are there to allow me to vent and pump me up, and my husband is there to offer me a shoulder to cry on when life gets too tough. I would be nowhere without my family. But when I speak of my family, it doesn't just include those I am related to by blood. My family extends beyond my immediate family. My sister once said of me that my family is the most important thing to me and I am extremely loyal. I can't argue wit...

Congratulations, Thank You, and See You Later USMA Class of 2015!

I started this as a Facebook post, but then it got long so I changed it up to be a blog post. I apologize for the length, but there are many things I want to say and would never be able to get them out of my mouth. As those who know me the best know, conveying my thoughts and feelings in spoken word is not my strong suit, hence my writing it down to tell you. Please know that I probably will not be able to say any of these things to you in person as I will get choked up immediately upon opening my mouth, but will stick to the standards of "congratulations," "very exciting day for you all," and "I'm super happy for you!" Please know that there is so much more behind the typical catch phrases. First and foremost, to the United States Military Academy at West Point Class of 2015, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Congratulations on graduating and on commissioning as 2LTs in the US Army! We are so extremely excited to celebrate with you this Saturday as you receive you...