Skip to main content

A Life-Changing Decision Remade

It has been a long time since I have written a blog post, but today I felt compelled to share a little of my story.

I wrote a blog a while back (Time for a Change...). In that blog, I wrote about my decision to make a lifestyle change. In that blog, I stated that I wasn't advocating a product. Needless to say, my mindset has changed a little. I will say this though, at the end of the day, while AdvoCare spurred my lifestyle change and has helped me out tremendously along the way, there have been other programs and people who have helped to keep me accountable, including the workouts posted on a community workout page that I can do from my home, a fabulous Team BeachBody coach Shanda Bandi, and, of course, my family and friends. I chose AdvoCare and I continue to choose it, but I'm forever grateful for all the help and encouragement along the way.

2014 was a tough year. We found out on December 30, 2013 that my dad had Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer. The feelings and emotions throughout his diagnosis and treatment were overwhelming, and my health suffered. I would go through periods where I would eat right and exercise, and then we'd get a round of bad news, and the exercise would cease and fast food was easier than thinking about cooking dinner.


The photo on the left is why I decided to make a change back in June. My mom took this photo and sent it to me shortly after. My mom, dad, daughter and I were going for a walk and mom wanted to get a pre-walk photo. When she sent it to me, I knew I needed a change. The image that I saw was not the image of myself that I wanted.

I started my first 24-Day Challenge in June of 2014. I had a lot of success and lost 13 inches overall and lost 14 pounds. The photo above on the right is me after finishing the challenge. I felt strong and healthy. At that point, I decided to become an independent distributor, both for the product discount to continue my journey but also because I wanted to help others have the success that I did.

Our next challenge was supposed to start in October, but my dad passed away. He was such an influence on me as far as my health and fitness goals were concerned that I decided to do the challenge in November. That challenge did not go as well as my first one as I was still deep in grief. However, doing the challenge at that time, did help me to not spiral out of control. I didn't lose as much, but I also didn't have near as much success as I'd had in June. The fault was on me as I made a lot of excuses during the challenge. At the end of the challenge, I didn't go back and do my weight or measurements. I was just happy to make it through with about a 70% effort.

That brings us to today and my decision to write a new blog post. I haven't written one since I wrote Dad's Memorial Service back on October 22. On Sunday, Adam and I got back to working out. Well, he worked out with me as I got back to working out after hurting my neck from going too hard at the beginning of December. I know how proud my dad was of my transformation, and it is my goal to keep making him proud by getting stronger and healthier. I'm getting ready to start my third challenge in February, and I've recommitted to making a difference in my life and in the lives of my family and friends. My dad was my health and fitness inspiration, and I want to be that for my kids. They work out with me and "help" me as I'm doing my exercises. I love cooking them meals that they enjoy eating and that are healthy for them. I love that they eat their fruits and veggies; it makes it so much easier to cook for our family.

Push Up Helper
So I'm back at it and ready to go. My mom, Adam and I are doing the 10K Across the Bay in November so I've got to get training for that. I'm also hoping that this will be the year that I finally do a triathlon and open water swim (though it'd help if I joined a gym with a pool and owned a bike with inflated wheels). Who knows what else is in store.....I may even consider doing the Army 10-miler again, preferably with Adam as opposed to him just cheering. But I am happy to have a program like AdvoCare to help me in my goals for a healthier lifestyle, and I can't wait to share my results!

Comments

  1. This is so great, Lindsay! I am on a similar journey for my wedding and beyond, so cheers to healthy living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you need any help, I'm here! You are going to look beautiful on your wedding day though, as usual. So happy for you and Anthony!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Scout Cookie Season!

Hi, it's Payton! I'm in Brownie Troop 5403 and I'm selling Girl Scout Cookies! My favorite is the Thin Mints. My brother and I are each donating a box of cookies this year. My mom says that it makes her heart happy. Donated cookies go to the USO, VA Hospitals in Topeka and Kansas City, and Harvesters (food bank). It’s on the website under Cookie Share, the first cookie.  My selling goal is 2,000 boxes of cookies. Our troop fun goal is to go to Worlds of Fun. Our troop community service goal is to donate to a children's hospital.  Online cookie sales end March 15! Cookies are $4 a box, but the gluten-free cookies (the Trios) are $5 a box.  https://www.abcsmartcookies.com/#/shopify-landing/651ab8b7-60a4-4375-b786-56b988997b85 Thank you!! ❤️ 🍪 🎉 😘 🦄 🎠 💎 💚 💙 Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 1: Girl Scout Cookies! Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 2: About the Donations  

Our Chance

God of healing, please comfort and strengthen Chance during his illness. Ease his fear and pain, and guide the vet and all caring for him, that he may recover fully. Comfort us, too, God, that we may better care for Chance and make decisions that are best for him.  -From www.daybydaypetsupport.com Adam and I got Chance the week before we were married. We had gone to look at dogs before, but had never left with one. We almost did once when we were at the ASPCA in Savannah. We saw two dogs who were absolutely adorable, but we knew we only wanted one dog. You see, the shelter had named them Ziva and DiNozzo, and in spite of what the show says, we knew that they should be together. A couple days after we went to the ASPCA, I convinced Adam to go look at this cute golden retriever who I'd seen on PetFinder who was at a local rescue shelter. When we got there, that dog had already been adopted. We saw two dogs that we liked, one was a skinny, nervous girl and the other was

Thrown for a Loop

When I woke up this morning, I thought that today was going to be a regular Tuesday. I got up and got dressed, got the kids dressed, packed Payton's snack in her backpack, poured Payton some milk and got her breakfast, and then got in the car to take Payton to preschool. I went to the gym to work my co-op shift and then worked out while Austin remained in the room to play. We then went to the PX to get a Go Army! Beat Navy! flag for my dad for his office, and then we went to get Payton from preschool. On the way home, Adam calls. The day took a turn that I wasn't expecting. Adam heard from the vet today and found out that Chance's mast cell tumor was Stage 2 and that he needs to see the oncologist to figure out what to do next. The cancer cells have spread to his lymph nodes so he will either need to undergo chemotherapy or radiation. Well, at least we hope those are the only two options. Chance after his mast cell tumor removal surgery Having a 1 year old and a 3 y