Skip to main content

We Run for Dad!

Well, we are at it again! Two years ago, dad had Gretchen and me sign up for the Across the Bay 10K with him. Last year, together with family and friends, I ran the 10K one month out from the day of my dad's passing. This year, I am proud to say that mom, Payton, Gretchen, Ben, Josh, Ashley, and I (with Austin on my back) are running it. The race is November 8, so we have plenty of time to train and raise funds.


Last year I worked to raise funds for the American Cancer Society (a great organization to donate to). This year, I am working to raise funds for the scholarship fund we started in my dad's memory. The goal is to get the scholarship fund up to $50,000 (the endowment level) so that we can begin awarding scholarships. The race has changed the way that they are doing their fundraising (you can only raise funds for 3 organizations) so I decided to do a personal donation page through my blog. 

I don't run because I particularly like running; I run because of my dad. And this race is a personal one that I hope to do each year and dedicate to him every year that I am able to participate. I think he'd be pleasantly surprised to hear that as he knew that I was not the biggest fan of running long distance.


This brings me to my request. Between now and November 8 when we do our run, please consider making a donation to the Sid Oaksmith Scholarship Fund. 

We are working through the specific details, but we have included the information for donating to the scholarship fund. Because we want this scholarship fund to continue, we aren't able to endow the scholarship until we reach a certain level of money, but the First Command Educational Foundation (FCEF) will continue to gather money for as long as it takes. 

To donate:
Go to: https://www.fcef.com/scholarships/
Scroll down to the Sid Oaksmith Scholarship Fund and follow the instructions.

OR:
To donate to the Sid Oaksmith Scholarship Fund, please click here.  (Use your “tab” key to move from field to field on each PayPal page.)
Your donation will be made through PayPal; you don’t need a PayPal account to donate to FCEF.
To designate your donation to this fund, please enter “Sid Oaksmith Scholarship Fund” in the “Add special instructions to the seller” field on the payment review page
The transaction will appear on your credit card statement as “PayPal *FCEF”.


OR:
You can also donate via check. If you would like to donate via check please make it payable to "FCEF" and put "Sid Oaksmith Scholarship" in the memo field. You want to mail it to:
First Command c/o Gretchen Butler
121 Cathedral St.
Annapolis, MD 21401


Finally, if you'd like to do the race with us, get on the wait list today!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Scout Cookie Season!

Hi, it's Payton! I'm in Brownie Troop 5403 and I'm selling Girl Scout Cookies! My favorite is the Thin Mints. My brother and I are each donating a box of cookies this year. My mom says that it makes her heart happy. Donated cookies go to the USO, VA Hospitals in Topeka and Kansas City, and Harvesters (food bank). It’s on the website under Cookie Share, the first cookie.  My selling goal is 2,000 boxes of cookies. Our troop fun goal is to go to Worlds of Fun. Our troop community service goal is to donate to a children's hospital.  Online cookie sales end March 15! Cookies are $4 a box, but the gluten-free cookies (the Trios) are $5 a box.  https://www.abcsmartcookies.com/#/shopify-landing/651ab8b7-60a4-4375-b786-56b988997b85 Thank you!! ❤️ 🍪 🎉 😘 🦄 🎠 💎 💚 💙 Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 1: Girl Scout Cookies! Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 2: About the Donations  

Our Chance

God of healing, please comfort and strengthen Chance during his illness. Ease his fear and pain, and guide the vet and all caring for him, that he may recover fully. Comfort us, too, God, that we may better care for Chance and make decisions that are best for him.  -From www.daybydaypetsupport.com Adam and I got Chance the week before we were married. We had gone to look at dogs before, but had never left with one. We almost did once when we were at the ASPCA in Savannah. We saw two dogs who were absolutely adorable, but we knew we only wanted one dog. You see, the shelter had named them Ziva and DiNozzo, and in spite of what the show says, we knew that they should be together. A couple days after we went to the ASPCA, I convinced Adam to go look at this cute golden retriever who I'd seen on PetFinder who was at a local rescue shelter. When we got there, that dog had already been adopted. We saw two dogs that we liked, one was a skinny, nervous girl and the other was

Thrown for a Loop

When I woke up this morning, I thought that today was going to be a regular Tuesday. I got up and got dressed, got the kids dressed, packed Payton's snack in her backpack, poured Payton some milk and got her breakfast, and then got in the car to take Payton to preschool. I went to the gym to work my co-op shift and then worked out while Austin remained in the room to play. We then went to the PX to get a Go Army! Beat Navy! flag for my dad for his office, and then we went to get Payton from preschool. On the way home, Adam calls. The day took a turn that I wasn't expecting. Adam heard from the vet today and found out that Chance's mast cell tumor was Stage 2 and that he needs to see the oncologist to figure out what to do next. The cancer cells have spread to his lymph nodes so he will either need to undergo chemotherapy or radiation. Well, at least we hope those are the only two options. Chance after his mast cell tumor removal surgery Having a 1 year old and a 3 y