Skip to main content

An Unstoppable Mom

I nominated mom today for the Live with Kelly and Michael's Search for Unstoppable Moms. Here is the submission:
There are so many things that make my mom unstoppable. While her children are all grown up, mom still cares about us and leads by example as much as she did when we were little.

My mom is one of the strongest people I know. My dad is currently going through chemo and radiation for esophageal cancer and my mom has been not only his rock, but my sister and my rock as well. From the moment we found out dad had cancer, mom has been by my dad's side and has shown great faith and hope. She asked my sister and I to make sure people were informed, and sends us regular updates to upload to my blog and dad's Caring Bridge site. She takes my dad to his appointments, feeds him through his feeding tube, and gives him his daily injections. She's even decided that we are doing the Glo Run in August when dad is all better, which will be a great and fun run with our family and friends. Her faith, positivity, and strength help guide mine and my sister's daily actions.

On top of that, mom is also an extraordinary volunteer. She currently serves as the Virginia Tech Alumni Association of Annapolis Chapter President where she's organized several events including an annual freshman picnic where they hand out scholarships for new Virginia Tech freshman and bookstore scholarships for current students. She also helps to run the Virginia Tech German Club store. She researches new products and sets up a table at home football games where she sells the items to raise funds for the organization. Mom also volunteers as the Programs Chair for the Naval Academy Women's Club. She has served in this role for several years and has organized several events from tours of downtown Annapolis to tea parties to lunches. Mom also spends time volunteering at their local church, Trinity United Methodist, where she helps with publicity and routinely helps during the clean ups and yard sales. She has also helped their church with making sack lunches for the local homeless shelter. She also helped with her high school class' reunion recently.

On top of volunteering, my mom also has two jobs. She works for both my dad and my sister at First Command in Annapolis and she also works for another financial broker. She puts in a lot of hours each week, and helps keep things organized.

Mom also helps to take care of her family. She babysits her grandchildren when needed and dog sits for family members. She spent a month with both my sister and me after the birth of our first child and a couple weeks with us after the birth of our second child. She also graciously watched my new dog the week before I got married. Mom and dad live next door to my grandma and they help her out when she needs it with some of the more daunting household tasks.

These are just the things she does currently. My mom was an Army spouse for over 20 years and did so much for her community and for my dad, sister, and me. Mom always taught us that we should make everywhere we go better than when we first got there. She was a leader, mentor, teacher, and friend at every post where dad served. Mom helped get a post trader's store going, selling field artillery and Ft. Sill related items; started a 4th of July parade in Ft. Sill and a Homecoming parade on Yongsan, Korea; taught basket classes; taught Army Family Team Building classes; and hosted coffee groups. Mom has a great attitude when it comes to military life and her example shined through with everyone she met. Mom also came to one of the Experiences and Expectations lunches that I hosted, helping to show attendees that being an Army spouse is a wonderful.

She's also been a great mother to my sister and me. She always told us that we were her job and she does every job to the best of her abilities. She encouraged us to always follow our dreams and supported our decisions. She instilled in us the value of volunteering and doing what is right. She took care of us when we were growing up and would only work during the hours that we were in school so she could take care of us. She drove us all around to our sports and sporting events and never complained.

My mom is absolutely unstoppable and deserves every award and recognition she's ever gotten. I couldn't be prouder to call her mom. Something I've heard a lot of people say about her and I couldn't agree more, I hope to be just like her when I grow up.

Comments

  1. Well done Lindsay! I vote for Becky too! And know that you and Gretchen and hundreds of Army wives are the legacy and witness to her exceptional example of touching the loves of others and making a difference to them and their communities. Becky must be so proud and touched by this loving tribute you wrote to nominate your Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Scout Cookie Season!

Hi, it's Payton! I'm in Brownie Troop 5403 and I'm selling Girl Scout Cookies! My favorite is the Thin Mints. My brother and I are each donating a box of cookies this year. My mom says that it makes her heart happy. Donated cookies go to the USO, VA Hospitals in Topeka and Kansas City, and Harvesters (food bank). It’s on the website under Cookie Share, the first cookie.  My selling goal is 2,000 boxes of cookies. Our troop fun goal is to go to Worlds of Fun. Our troop community service goal is to donate to a children's hospital.  Online cookie sales end March 15! Cookies are $4 a box, but the gluten-free cookies (the Trios) are $5 a box.  https://www.abcsmartcookies.com/#/shopify-landing/651ab8b7-60a4-4375-b786-56b988997b85 Thank you!! ❤️ 🍪 🎉 😘 🦄 🎠 💎 💚 💙 Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 1: Girl Scout Cookies! Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 2: About the Donations  

Our Chance

God of healing, please comfort and strengthen Chance during his illness. Ease his fear and pain, and guide the vet and all caring for him, that he may recover fully. Comfort us, too, God, that we may better care for Chance and make decisions that are best for him.  -From www.daybydaypetsupport.com Adam and I got Chance the week before we were married. We had gone to look at dogs before, but had never left with one. We almost did once when we were at the ASPCA in Savannah. We saw two dogs who were absolutely adorable, but we knew we only wanted one dog. You see, the shelter had named them Ziva and DiNozzo, and in spite of what the show says, we knew that they should be together. A couple days after we went to the ASPCA, I convinced Adam to go look at this cute golden retriever who I'd seen on PetFinder who was at a local rescue shelter. When we got there, that dog had already been adopted. We saw two dogs that we liked, one was a skinny, nervous girl and the other was

Thrown for a Loop

When I woke up this morning, I thought that today was going to be a regular Tuesday. I got up and got dressed, got the kids dressed, packed Payton's snack in her backpack, poured Payton some milk and got her breakfast, and then got in the car to take Payton to preschool. I went to the gym to work my co-op shift and then worked out while Austin remained in the room to play. We then went to the PX to get a Go Army! Beat Navy! flag for my dad for his office, and then we went to get Payton from preschool. On the way home, Adam calls. The day took a turn that I wasn't expecting. Adam heard from the vet today and found out that Chance's mast cell tumor was Stage 2 and that he needs to see the oncologist to figure out what to do next. The cancer cells have spread to his lymph nodes so he will either need to undergo chemotherapy or radiation. Well, at least we hope those are the only two options. Chance after his mast cell tumor removal surgery Having a 1 year old and a 3 y