Skip to main content

Believing in His Plan

Sometimes it's hard for us to believe that God really does have a plan for us. Often, we don't see it until after it has happened. So why is it so hard sometimes to believe that there is a plan when we are reminded time and again.

Looking back over our 5 years of marriage, I now know that every place we've been and the length of time we've been there have been a part of God's plan. What we sometimes called "luck," wasn't really luck at all.

When we first were married, we lived in Savannah, GA while my husband was stationed at Ft Stewart. While there, we met our very best mutual friend, were able to spend time in Florida with Adam's grandpa before he passed away, and rescued Chance who has been our protector. Nick, our mutual friend (basically we met him around the same time and all 3 became friends together), is our daughter's godfather and brings us lots of laughs and smiles. Chance is our protector dog. Ok, so mostly he's my protector dog when Adam is away. He warns me whenever the squirrel in the yard gets too close, but also makes sure that people coming to the door know that he's there to defend the house and it's inhabitants.

But the main reason that I think we were supposed to be at Ft Stewart at that time was because of Adam's grandpa. Adam's grandpa was a great man. We were so lucky to live close enough that we could drive down to Florida to visit him and Grannie. I loved hearing his stories about Tennessee football, and I think he liked telling them to a huge Tennessee fan. A few months after Adam and I were married, Adam's grandpa passed away. We were able to be there in the days prior and also for the service in Florida. I will always be grateful that we could be there during that time, not only for Adam's Grannie but also for Adam. God had a plan.
Adam with his Grannie and Grandpa at our wedding in 2009
We then moved to Ft Sill and received several follow on orders to stay there. We ended up spending 3.5 years there. We kept wondering when it was our time to PCS (permanent change of station aka move). We didn't know it at the time but I think God had a plan for us then too. Adam's dad had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and he required a bone marrow transplant. Leading up to the transplant, we were able to travel to Texas where Adam's parents lived and visit. Adam was also able to go see his dad just a week or so prior to the transplant. I was not able to travel at that time because I was a week or so from my due date with our first child. 

About a month after the transplant, we were able to travel down to Texas to introduce Adam's dad to our daughter. It was wonderful getting to see him hold her for the first time. I'll never forget how nervous he was to be holding such a tiny little one, but his smile never faded.
Grandpa Tom getting to hold Payton when she was about a month old
As we got more anxious to PCS from Ft Sill, we were once again reminded of why we were still there. During a procedure, Adam's dad's heart stopped. We were fortunate to be able to jump in the car and drive down to Texas immediately to see him and be with his family. It just so happened that Adam and I had just found out that we were expecting baby #2 and hadn't told anyone. At that moment, we knew that we wanted his dad to be the first to know. When Adam's dad woke up, we let him know that he had to get better so he could meet his grandchild in a couple months. 

We were thankful that we could be right where we were for so long so that we could travel to see Adam's family. I know Adam was grateful that he could be there for his mom and dad. And it's amazing what kids can do to help you temporarily forget about the things that are happening. 

When we first learned that it was our time to leave Ft Sill, we initially thought it was going to be for Canada. We later learned that we were in fact headed for West Point, NY. While we were slightly disappointed, we were also ecstatic to be going to West Point. Adam had talked about wanting to be a TAC (tactical officer) for as long as we've been married, probably longer. 

God has once again shown us part of His plan in having us on the East Coast and only a few hours from my parents. As I mentioned in a previous blog, my dad found out at the end of December that he has esophageal cancer. Living closer means that, as needed, we can drive down to Maryland where my parents live and spend time with them. I'm grateful that we can be there for my parents during this time, but I'm also glad that God have us two crazy, lovable kids who will temporarily distract us all from the treatments and surgeries.
Grandpa Sid and Payton putting a puzzle together
God has a plan for us all. While we may not know it at the time, it's there. I look back now and can honestly say that, while I didn't know it then, I know it and can acknowledge His plan now. 

Adam and I are both very family driven people. We consult one another over major and sometimes minor decisions. We make choices that benefit us as a whole family, in the long and short term. Being able to be at Ft Stewart and near Adam's grandparents was amazing, just as being at Ft Sill and near Adam's parents was a great blessing. Now, being able to be there for my parents is a marvelous thing. While the trials are hard, I thank God for His plan for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Scout Cookie Season!

Hi, it's Payton! I'm in Brownie Troop 5403 and I'm selling Girl Scout Cookies! My favorite is the Thin Mints. My brother and I are each donating a box of cookies this year. My mom says that it makes her heart happy. Donated cookies go to the USO, VA Hospitals in Topeka and Kansas City, and Harvesters (food bank). It’s on the website under Cookie Share, the first cookie.  My selling goal is 2,000 boxes of cookies. Our troop fun goal is to go to Worlds of Fun. Our troop community service goal is to donate to a children's hospital.  Online cookie sales end March 15! Cookies are $4 a box, but the gluten-free cookies (the Trios) are $5 a box.  https://www.abcsmartcookies.com/#/shopify-landing/651ab8b7-60a4-4375-b786-56b988997b85 Thank you!! ❤️ 🍪 🎉 😘 🦄 🎠 💎 💚 💙 Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 1: Girl Scout Cookies! Payton's Girl Scout Network Episode 2: About the Donations  

Our Chance

God of healing, please comfort and strengthen Chance during his illness. Ease his fear and pain, and guide the vet and all caring for him, that he may recover fully. Comfort us, too, God, that we may better care for Chance and make decisions that are best for him.  -From www.daybydaypetsupport.com Adam and I got Chance the week before we were married. We had gone to look at dogs before, but had never left with one. We almost did once when we were at the ASPCA in Savannah. We saw two dogs who were absolutely adorable, but we knew we only wanted one dog. You see, the shelter had named them Ziva and DiNozzo, and in spite of what the show says, we knew that they should be together. A couple days after we went to the ASPCA, I convinced Adam to go look at this cute golden retriever who I'd seen on PetFinder who was at a local rescue shelter. When we got there, that dog had already been adopted. We saw two dogs that we liked, one was a skinny, nervous girl and the other was

Thrown for a Loop

When I woke up this morning, I thought that today was going to be a regular Tuesday. I got up and got dressed, got the kids dressed, packed Payton's snack in her backpack, poured Payton some milk and got her breakfast, and then got in the car to take Payton to preschool. I went to the gym to work my co-op shift and then worked out while Austin remained in the room to play. We then went to the PX to get a Go Army! Beat Navy! flag for my dad for his office, and then we went to get Payton from preschool. On the way home, Adam calls. The day took a turn that I wasn't expecting. Adam heard from the vet today and found out that Chance's mast cell tumor was Stage 2 and that he needs to see the oncologist to figure out what to do next. The cancer cells have spread to his lymph nodes so he will either need to undergo chemotherapy or radiation. Well, at least we hope those are the only two options. Chance after his mast cell tumor removal surgery Having a 1 year old and a 3 y